It’s Dietitian’s Week and throughout the week we are putting our dietitians under the spotlight – starting with Pam Finlay, dietetic lead at MoreLife.
Background: Hi, I’m Pam. I’m originally from Dublin and currently live in York. I studied at QMU Edinburgh and lived in Bonnie Scotland for 13 years. I’ve been incredibly lucky to have a really diverse dietetic career to date, working in community, renal, diabetes, mental health, bariatrics and weight management.
Current role: Currently my role spans across all areas of the business to establish and oversee the clinical dietetic elements. It is a hugely varied role where I get to work closely alongside exceptional colleagues, which include dietetic associate practitioners, nutritionists, health psychologists, endocrinologists, GPs, professors and team leaders.
Personal interests: Spending time with my kiddies and husband, running, yoga, reading and cake sampling.
Favourite aspect of being a Dietitian: Helping people to (re)connect with food and understand how nutrition can work to improve their health (physical and mental).
Favourite recipe: Lentil, Mushroom & Egg Curry
Lentil, Mushroom & Egg Curry Recipe
Firm family favourite that is easy, quick, healthy, and cheap!
- 4 Free range eggs
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 Brown onion, halved, sliced
- 200g Brown cup mushrooms, quartered
- 100g Korma curry paste
- 400g Can diced tomatoes
- 165ml Coconut milk
- 2 tsp Vegetable stock powder
- 2 x 400g Cans lentils, rinsed, drained
- 60g Baby spinach
- 450g Pack microwavable basmati rice
1. Bring a saucepan of water to the boil. Add the eggs and cook for seven minutes for semi-soft yolks or until cooked to your liking. Refresh under cold water.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook the onion for two minutes or until onion softens. Add mushroom and cook for three minutes or until tender. Add the curry paste and cook, stirring, for one minute or until aromatic.
3. Add the tomato, coconut milk and stock powder to the mushroom mixture in the pan. Stir to combine. Stir in the lentils and bring to a simmer. Add spinach and stir to combine. Remove from heat.
4. While the mushroom mixture is cooking, heat the rice in the microwave following packet directions.
5. Peel each egg and cut in half. Divide the rice and lentil mixture evenly among serving bowls. Top with egg.